Late last year, Improv Electronics launched the Boogie Board Rip eWriter — the first Boogie Board eWriter model with save capabilities — and in conjunction with that launch, developed and released accompanying software called the Virtual Desktop Companion (VDC).
Virtual Desktop Companion 1.0
Yesterday at the ISTE 2012 conference & exhibition in San Diego, California, Improv Electronics announced an exciting VDC software upgrade that will be available free from improvelectronics.com this fall!
The new VDC 2.0 includes:
- integration with Evernote, a highly popular file management and note-taking software
- virtual whiteboard mode, which displays the Boogie Board eWriter’s writing surface in real-time onto a PC monitor or projector, making it a very effective group communication or presentation tool
- compatibility with MyScript OCR technology, which will convert handwritten notes saved on the Boogie Board Rip eWriter to typewritten text
So how can YOU use the Boogie Board Rip eWriter and VDC 2.0?
1. You can take page after page of notes in the classroom, in a business meeting, or at a conference. Or maybe you are practicing a new sketching technique! Either way, writing on the Boogie Board Rip eWriter’s surface feels just like using pencil and paper, and you can save each page for later editing, reviewing, organizing or sharing.
2. You can connect the Boogie Board Rip eWriter directly to your computer and project what you are drawing or writing in real time up onto your monitor – the entire screen transforms into a digital whiteboard! Perfect for brainstorming with your colleagues, sharing ideas and collaborating with other students. Writing/drawing is black on a white background, just like most whiteboards.
3. You can store, save, manage and tag your files within the Evernote cloud and access them from any other device you have synced with Evernote (for example, your smart phone!).
4. You can convert your handwritten PDF notes created with the Boogie Board Rip eWriter into typewritten text with MyScript OCR technology. Make your notes easier to read, easier to search, and easier to edit with any word processing software. Maybe I wrote this entire blog post on my Boogie Board Rip eWriter and converted it to text – it’s totally possible with the new VDC 2.0 upgrade! Starting this fall, all Boogie Board Rip eWriter units will ship with a 30-day free trial of MyScript software.
The possibilities are endless!